Vp plc - HIRE CONDITIONS The Construction Plant-Hire Association model conditions for the hiring of plant (These conditions are not to be used for consumer contracts)
1. DEFINITIONS (a) The “Contract” is the Contract between the Owner and the Hirer for the hire of Plant, which incorporates the Offer and is governed by these conditions.
(b) The “Hire Period” shall commence from the time when the Plant leaves the Owner’s depot or place where last employed and shall continue until the Plant is received back at the Owner’s named depot or other agreed location. For the avoidance of doubt the Hire Period includes the time Plant is left on site during a Holiday Period.
(c) The “Hirer” is the Company, firm, person, Corporation or public authority taking the Owner’s Plant on hire and includes their successors or personal representatives.
(d) “Holiday Period” covers any cessation of work over Easter, Christmas and the New Year; as well as any other Bank or Public holidays.
(e) “Offer” is the Owner’s offer to hire the Plant to the Hirer which will include details of the Plant to be hired, the Hire Period, relevant hire rates and charges and any supplementary conditions to be incorporated into the Contract.
(f) The “Owner” is the Company, firm or person letting the Plant on hire and includes their successors, assignees or personal representatives.
(g) “Plant” covers all classes of Plant, or replacement Plant, machinery, vehicles, equipment, accessories, and any ancillary items, vehicles or equipment therefor, which the Owner agrees to hire to the Hirer, or anything which is supplied by the Owner to effect the hire, and anything supplied by the Owner for the safe operation and routine inspection and maintenance of the Plant.
(h) A “Working Day” shall be from 8.00 am to 4.30 pm, Monday to Thursday, and 8.00 am to 3.30 pm, on Friday allowing a half-hour lunch break each day, unless otherwise specified in the Contract.
(i) A “Working Week” covers the period from 8.00 am on Monday to 3.30 pm on Friday, unless otherwise specified in the Contract.
2. EXTENT OF CONTRACT No terms, conditions or warranties other than as specifically set forth in the Offer shall be deemed to be incorporated or to form part of the Contract or shall otherwise govern the relationship between the Owner and the Hirer in relation to the hire of any particular Plant pursuant to the Offer. This excludes all other terms or conditions which the Hirer may seek to apply under any order or acknowledgement or acceptance or similar document and supersedes all prior negotiations, representations or agreements, whether written or oral unless and to the extent that they are expressly accepted in writing and signed by the Owner. The Owner and the Hirer do not intend that any of the terms of the Contract will be enforceable by virtue of the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 by any person not a party to the Contract, except that a person who is a successor to or an assignee of the rights of the Owner is deemed to become a party to the Contract after the date of succession or assignment (as the case may be).
3. ACCEPTANCE OF PLANT Acceptance of the Plant on site implies acceptance of all terms and conditions herein unless otherwise previously agreed in writing.
4. UNLOADING AND LOADING The Hirer shall be responsible for the unobstructed access and egress and, unless otherwise agreed in writing, for unloading and loading of the Plant at the site; and any personnel supplied by the Owner for such unloading and / or loading shall be deemed to be under the direction and control of the Hirer. Such personnel shall for all purposes in connection with their employment in the unloading and / or loading of the Plant be regarded as the servants or agents of the Hirer (but without prejudice to any of the provisions of clause 13) who shall be solely responsible for all claims arising in connection with unloading and / or loading of the Plant by, or with the assistance of, such personnel.
5. DELIVERY IN GOOD ORDER AND MAINTENANCE: INSPECTION REPORTS (a) Unless notification in writing to the contrary is received by the Owner from the Hirer in the case of Plant supplied with an operator within four working days, and in the case of Plant supplied without an operator within three working days, of the Plant being delivered to the site, the Plant shall be deemed to be in good order, save for either an inherent fault or a fault not ascertainable by reasonable examination, in accordance with terms of the Contract and to the Hirer’s satisfaction, provided that where the Plant requires to be erected on site, the periods stated above shall be calculated from the date of completed erection of Plant. The Hirer shall be responsible for the safe keeping of the Plant, its use in a workmanlike manner within the manufacturer’s rated capacity and in accordance with the manufacturer’s and / or the Owner’s recommendations, and its return on the completion of the Hire Period in equal good order (fair wear and tear excepted).
(b) The Hirer shall at all times when hiring Plant without the Owner’s operator or driver take all reasonable steps to keep himself acquainted with the state and condition of the Plant. If such Plant is continued at work or in use in an unsafe and unsatisfactory state or environment, the Hirer shall be solely responsible for any damage, loss, cost, expense or accidents whether directly or indirectly arising therefrom.
(c) Any inspection report required under the relevant legislation, or a copy thereof, shall be supplied by the Owner, if requested by the Hirer, and returned on completion of the Hire Period.